a Morgan for 3 weeks around San Francisco,
convinced me that I wanted a Morgan.
However soon after the San Francisco
experience, I bought a house while
living in an apartment in Seattle.
So I was paying a mortgage and rent
too, and there wasn't enough left
to buy a Morgan. I got to thinking
of building a Morgan-like body on
a Beetle chassis. It is likely you
are aware that all the essential elements
for driving are carried on a Beetle
chassis; engine, gearbox, brakes,
steering, and etc. And a Morgan wheelbase
was 96 inches while a Beetle's was
94.5 inches. A Morgan's body frame
is made of Belgian Ash, and I'm comfortable
using wood and I had a pile of free
1983 I found a tired '68 VW sedan
for $350. Removing the body, a Mahogany
sill was bolted to the chassis sides,
and uprights were placed by expanding
a Morgan side view for reference,
and another sill atop the uprights.
Using hot melt glue and eyeball, when
it looked right there were glue and
screws, and hardwood dowels in places.
The framing used was usually twice
as thick as Morgan framing. When the
framing was about right, the "fairing"
began so the skin would lay smoothly
over the frame. When the fairing was
accomplished, .040 aluminum was nailed
and screwed to the body frame. Meanwhile
the engine went to a very good VW
machinist. So the engine was swapped
for a '72 case with a counterbalanced
stock throw crankshaft. The machinist
did the porting work on the heads,
and told me the best pieces to make
a nice set up. I made the rear fenders
in Fiberglas, and bought Fiberglas
front fenders. The cowl, or nose was
made from a Morgan metal cowl in Fiberglas.All
this took about 6 years of evenings
and weekends. The finished car weighed
1525 pounds, and the engine produced
around 100 horses.